The basketball season is an intense time of athleticism and power. Whether an amateur or professional, athletes work hard to create a body which performs with prowess and dexterity. The synergy of adrenaline, sweat, and muscle creates the ability to move with agility and grace. During the regular season daily practice combines with a high level of competition to keep the athlete in peak condition but even a championship season eventually comes to an end. This may lead one to have thoughts on how to maintain one’s fitness level during the off season.
As Sir Isaac Newton stated, “A body in motion stays in motion.” If continued without variation the routine required during the regular season can land one in a rut. The human body needs diversity to maintain its highest level of fitness an one must take advantage of the mind body connection in order to create a superior athlete. The off season is a great time to take a vacation from the daily grind and add fun to the agenda while maintaining and even improving performance levels.
Part I: Adults
Tips for adults to stay in shape during the off season are similar to those suggested for the youths with a little more emphasis on conditioning. Intermural summer leagues and competitions are great. Hiring a training coach who specializes in the area in which one wants to improve their game is helpful especially if one can receive on-on-one interaction. Also attending seminars given by professional athletes will assist you in getting feedback about your game.
Eating healthy and daily conditioning like running and aerobics are very important. Adults might also benefit from a cooking class so that they can learn to prepare the types of meals that will suit their particular body type. Participating in summer marathons keeps one in the spirit of competition while causing an athlete to maintain fitness with a focus that is separate from their usual routine. Practicing the weakest part of one’s game is important to gain competency. Many adult athletes find participating in classes such as yoga, spinning, martial arts, and Pilates will increase their flexibility and build their level of aerobic fitness. An added bonus to these types of classes is the reduction in instances of muscle strains and tears.
The off season is an excellent time to start new athletic endeavors which assist you with your flexibility and improve your basketball game. Diversity during the off season makes for a stronger athlete.
Other off season training tips:
- Participate in pickup games at local parks and recreation centers.
- Charity basketball clinics held in your local area by professional basketball players.
- See a nutritionist for the proper eating plan to build muscle and maintain proper weight.
- Keep a daily journal of your physical progress and make goals to reach during the summer.
- Watch videos on how to improve specific parts of your basketball game and learn new techniques to use during the regular season.
Photo credit: duchamp
- 4 Fitness Tips To Stay Motivated During The Off-Season
- Notes on Practice Planning
- A few Tips to handle Sore Muscles
- A quick run-down of Food Tips
- Managing your players
- Tips On Dealing With A Bad Coach
- How to handle Basketball Referees
- 9 Fundamentals of Passing
- 10 Questions to ask yourself if Basketball is the right sport for you
- Basic athletic skills which enhance Basketball Performance